Indian-origin man jailed for biting compatriot`s ear
Wellington: An Indian-origin man has been jailed and fined for biting off his former lover`s new partner`s ear in New Zealand, media reported Saturday.
During a hearing Friday, Anish Rao, 28, was sentenced to two years and three months in jail and fined NZ$500 ($430) for breaking into his former lover`s property in New Lynn, a suburb in Auckland last year through the garage and smashing open a door which led to the house, Stuff.co.nz reported.
Rao`s former lover Vikashni Ashari was asleep with her husband Ritesh Ram when the incident occurred.
On entering, Rao immediately attacked Ram and bit off the top of his left ear.
After attacking Ram, Rao went for Anshari, jumped on the bed and punched her on the face before making his escape.
Ram found the piece of his ear and took it to the hospital but the doctors could not re-attach it.
On being caught, Rao pleaded guilty to a charge of disfiguring with intent to injure and one of assaulting a female.
During Friday`s hearing, Rao`s lawyer said that his split from Ashari had left him "obsessed" and the home invasion followed a slew of abusive text messages and phone calls.
The defence lawyer also pleaded for a sentence of home detention but was rejected.
The judge described the offence as "callous and spiteful".
Rao previously had attempted three times to enter Anshari and Ram`s residence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog