Indian-origin man jailed for sexually assaulting women in Australia
Melbourne: An Indian-origin man in Australia, who sexually assaulted women on trains, was Monday sentenced to 21 months in jail, media reported.
County Court judge Gerard Mullaly, while sentencing Ajay Chopra, said stern punishment awaited the men who put their own "perverse sexual pleasure" above the rights of women, The Age reported.
"The sexual assault of fellow female passengers on public transport is shameful and dishonourable. Decent men do not do this," Mullaly said.
Chopra, 41, separately assaulted the women, aged between 18 and 30, while travelling on the V/Line train between Melbourne and Bendigo between June and August 2011. He offered to read their palm.
Chopra, of Bendigo, either assaulted the women, or tried to, when he took their hands claiming to be a palm reader. Either he would put a woman`s hand on his crotch, or put his hand on or near their crotch, or both.
Prosecutor Neill Hutton said one of the victims felt Chopra`s erect penis under her hand. The offender also had put his hand up the woman`s dress, the report said.
Mullaly said Chopra`s "shameful and concerning behaviour" had had a profound and lasting impact on his victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Telangana Intermediate Second Year Result 2016, Telangana TS Inter 1st Year Results 2016, Telangana BIE Class 12 Supplementary Results 2016 to be declared today; check bie.telangana.gov.in
- Dwayne Johnson to produce film adaptation of 'Son of Shaolin'
- Honda to launch City-based hatchback soon
- BJP publication dares ally Sena to take 'divorce'
- Brabus's 850PS S-Class is the world's fastest cabriolet