Indian-origin man jailed for sexually assaulting women in Australia
Melbourne: An Indian-origin man in Australia, who sexually assaulted women on trains, was Monday sentenced to 21 months in jail, media reported.
County Court judge Gerard Mullaly, while sentencing Ajay Chopra, said stern punishment awaited the men who put their own "perverse sexual pleasure" above the rights of women, The Age reported.
"The sexual assault of fellow female passengers on public transport is shameful and dishonourable. Decent men do not do this," Mullaly said.
Chopra, 41, separately assaulted the women, aged between 18 and 30, while travelling on the V/Line train between Melbourne and Bendigo between June and August 2011. He offered to read their palm.
Chopra, of Bendigo, either assaulted the women, or tried to, when he took their hands claiming to be a palm reader. Either he would put a woman`s hand on his crotch, or put his hand on or near their crotch, or both.
Prosecutor Neill Hutton said one of the victims felt Chopra`s erect penis under her hand. The offender also had put his hand up the woman`s dress, the report said.
Mullaly said Chopra`s "shameful and concerning behaviour" had had a profound and lasting impact on his victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’