Indian-origin men facing gang-rape charges in New Zealand
Melbourne: Four Indian-origin men accused of gang-raping a young girl on Tuesday appeared in a court in New Zealand.
The men - Amir Chand, 25, Harvinder Singh, 22, Kamaljeet Singh, 27, and Sumit Vermani, 26 - are defending the charges of raping the girl in April 2011, Fairfax NZ News reported.
The woman, then aged 19, was raped on the day of the famous racing event in Hamilton, she said during a hearing at Hamilton High Court today.
Prosecutor Philip Crayton said the victim was drinking with a friend by the Waikato Stadium that night. Then they met a 16-year-old girl from the US, who knew the four men. Soon they were picked up by Chand.
Giving evidence by video link from another room in the courthouse, the victim said she and her friends were taken to a house by Lake Rotoroa, where she was raped in turns by all the four accused.
When the prosecutor asked her about the ethnicity of the perpetrators, she said, "Indian".
While Chand, Harvinder and Sumit are from Hamilton, Kamaljeet is from Kaitkati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali