Indian-origin mother barred from visiting India with her son
London: An Indian-origin mother has been barred from visiting India along with her six-year-old son by a British family court after her ex-husband expressed fear that she might not return.
The Indian-born woman, who is in her 30s and cannot be named for legal reasons, insisted she had absolutely no intention of abducting her son and simply wanted to take him to meet his extended family and "explore his cultural roots".
But Judge Clifford Bellamy ruled in favour of the father, also in his 30s and who?was born in Leicester.
The mother has lived in the city for nine years since their arranged marriage but is now living alone with her son, according to a report in the local `Leicester Mercury` newspaper.
The city`s Family Court heard that the father was engaged in a running battle with his ex-wife over contact with their little boy.
All three now have UK passports.
Judge Bellamy said India had not signed up to the Hague Convention which enshrines the international ban on child abduction.
If the mother failed to return to Britain with his son, the father would face a formidable challenge fighting his case through the Indian courts, the court was told.
Blocking her holiday plans, the judge said there was "a risk" that she might try to keep her son in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand