Indian origin nurse`s death: UK prosecutors consider criminal charges
London: British police probing Indian-origin nurse Jacintha Saldanha`s death following a hoax call to a hospital treating a pregnant Princess Kate, has passed a file to the Crown Prosecution Service to review whether the two Australian DJs behind the prank had committed any offences.
Scotland Yard has been investigating the circumstances that led up to the apparent suicide of 46-year-old Saldanha, a nurse at the King Edward VII Hospital, on December 7, three days after she answered a phone call from the two DJs pretending to be members of the Royal Family.
A spokesman of Scotland Yard said detectives have passed a file to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to review whether "any potential offences may have been committed by making the hoax call."
It has not been disclosed what possible offences Scotland Yard have been pursuing, but detectives are thought to have examined whether DJs from 2Day FM radio station in Sydney -- Mel Greig and Michael Christian -- breached the Data Protection Act.
The legislation makes it an offence to "knowingly or recklessly ... Obtain or disclose personal data or the information contained in personal data."
It is unclear whether the DJs could face extradition from Australia to Britain if the CPS decides there is a reasonable chance of securing a conviction in the courts.
The Data Protection Act offence is punishable by a fine rather than imprisonment - up to a 5,000-pound fine in the magistrates` court or an unlimited fine in the Crown court.
The Scotland Yard spokesman said: "Following the death of
Jacintha Saldanha, officers have liaised with the Crown Prosecution Service as to whether any criminal offences had been committed in relation to the hoax call made to King Edward VII Hospital in the early hours of Tuesday December 4."
"On Wednesday December 19, officers submitted a file to the Crown Prosecution Service for them to consider whether any potential offences may have been committed by making the hoax call," he said.
Saldanha, a mother of two, was found hanging in staff accommodation at the hospital where 30-year-old Kate had been treated for acute morning sickness.
The Indian-origin nurse had answered the telephone at the hospital in Marylebone, central London, and the two presenters convinced her they were the Queen and the Prince of Wales.
Saldanha transferred the call to another nurse who unwittingly gave the DJs an update on Kate`s condition.
Three days later, Saldanha was found hanging. She had left three suicide notes, her inquest was told.
In one of three suicide notes, she reportedly expressed "deep anger" against the DJs and held them responsible for her death.
Saldanha`s funeral took place on Monday in Shirva, near Mangalore in Karnataka.
Her children described the "unfillable void" left in their lives by their mother`s death, as a mass was held at Westminster Cathedral on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks