Indian origin nurse`s death: UK prosecutors consider criminal charges
London: British police probing Indian-origin nurse Jacintha Saldanha`s death following a hoax call to a hospital treating a pregnant Princess Kate, has passed a file to the Crown Prosecution Service to review whether the two Australian DJs behind the prank had committed any offences.
Scotland Yard has been investigating the circumstances that led up to the apparent suicide of 46-year-old Saldanha, a nurse at the King Edward VII Hospital, on December 7, three days after she answered a phone call from the two DJs pretending to be members of the Royal Family.
A spokesman of Scotland Yard said detectives have passed a file to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to review whether "any potential offences may have been committed by making the hoax call."
It has not been disclosed what possible offences Scotland Yard have been pursuing, but detectives are thought to have examined whether DJs from 2Day FM radio station in Sydney -- Mel Greig and Michael Christian -- breached the Data Protection Act.
The legislation makes it an offence to "knowingly or recklessly ... Obtain or disclose personal data or the information contained in personal data."
It is unclear whether the DJs could face extradition from Australia to Britain if the CPS decides there is a reasonable chance of securing a conviction in the courts.
The Data Protection Act offence is punishable by a fine rather than imprisonment - up to a 5,000-pound fine in the magistrates` court or an unlimited fine in the Crown court.
The Scotland Yard spokesman said: "Following the death of
Jacintha Saldanha, officers have liaised with the Crown Prosecution Service as to whether any criminal offences had been committed in relation to the hoax call made to King Edward VII Hospital in the early hours of Tuesday December 4."
"On Wednesday December 19, officers submitted a file to the Crown Prosecution Service for them to consider whether any potential offences may have been committed by making the hoax call," he said.
Saldanha, a mother of two, was found hanging in staff accommodation at the hospital where 30-year-old Kate had been treated for acute morning sickness.
The Indian-origin nurse had answered the telephone at the hospital in Marylebone, central London, and the two presenters convinced her they were the Queen and the Prince of Wales.
Saldanha transferred the call to another nurse who unwittingly gave the DJs an update on Kate`s condition.
Three days later, Saldanha was found hanging. She had left three suicide notes, her inquest was told.
In one of three suicide notes, she reportedly expressed "deep anger" against the DJs and held them responsible for her death.
Saldanha`s funeral took place on Monday in Shirva, near Mangalore in Karnataka.
Her children described the "unfillable void" left in their lives by their mother`s death, as a mass was held at Westminster Cathedral on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly