Indian-origin professor denied tenure by Singapore
Singapore: Singapore`s second largest university has rejected an appeal to renew the tenure of an Indian-origin journalism Professor who is said to be critical of censorship in the city-state, a media report said on Wednesday.
47-year old Dr Cherian George joined Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in 2004 and teaches courses on media at the university`s Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information.
But the decision by the university to not give him a fresh tenure means the associate professor George would have to leave the school within a year, `The Straits Times` reported today.
George had won a teaching excellence award from NTU in 2010, and has published several books. George, a former journalist, is said to have criticised the Singapore government in the past and has written several books and articles on censorship in Singapore.
George had appealed in March after his application for tenure was denied the month before. He has been denied tenure twice within three years.
Four of the university`s most senior faculty members, including two ex-deans -- Ang Peng Hua and Eddie Kuo -- have written to the university, saying that denial of tenure to George would cause "serious damage to our academic reputation and professional integrity" and NTU`s ability to attract top communication scholars, the report said.
Responding to media queries about George`s appeal, NTU said it was not able to comment on specific cases as it is the university`s policy to keep all employment matters confidential.
NTU is the second largest university in Singapore after the National University of Singapore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly