Indian-origin student jailed for cheating retailers in Singapore
Singapore: An Indian-origin student has been sentenced to 22 months in jail by a Singapore court for cheating retailers of over SGD 135,000 worth of electronic goods while posing as an Army captain.
Suraj Kumar Sarabajeet, 22, posed as an army captain and ordered 11 Apple MacBook Pro Laptops from Sapura Synergy on behalf of Singapore`s Armour Headquarters in January last year.
He gave a fictional address in the email to Sapura and hired a courier company to collect the goods worth SGD 28,844.
But he sold these laptops for SGD 23,150 later that day.
Six days later, Suraj used the same ruse and ordered eight Apple MacBook Air laptops worth SGD 15,230 from Multimedia Integrated.
He collected the goods using the courier company and sold the computers for SGD 10,500, reported The Straits Times.
In March 2012, he posed as a Federal Express executive and ordered 27 iPads, iPhones and laptops worth SGD 41,111 from retail Epicentre which he later sold for SGD 32,170.
Suraj duped his victims with SGD 135,772 worth of goods over a three-month period, all while he was undergoing two years probation for the similar offences.
The District Court on Friday convicted Suraj on 10 charges of cheating and forgery.
Suraj, who was pursuing a diploma in law and management, has been held in custody since April 11 last year.
On Monday he would be sentenced for six other offences of cheating and forgery, for which he was originally placed on probation in 2011.
"The accused ran multiple independent devised schemes, sometimes running the same con on the same victim more than once," said the prosecution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark