Indian-origin teacher alleges racial discrimination
London: An Indian-origin head mistress at a
school in Britain has alleged that she faced racial
discrimination at her job and did not get support from
Sudhana Singh told an employment tribunal yesterday that
one man was heard saying "bloody Indian woman should not be in
charge of our children" while children were reported gossiping
that their parents "hated blacks", the Daily Telegraph
Singh, a teacher for 20 years, is suing the governors and
Reading council for race discrimination.
She claims she faced a campaign of race discrimination,
bullying and harassment and did not get appropriate support
from the governors or the council.
"I believe that the campaign to remove me from my
post was, in substantial part, related to my ethnic origins,"
she said in a statement read by the tribunal in Reading.
"The degree of resistance and hostility I was met
with was much greater than would otherwise have been the case
but for my racial origins," she said.
Singh, who started her career in South Africa in
1989, emigrated to Britain in 2001 and started teaching in
In September 2009 she took up the post of head
teacher at Moorlands, which has more than 400 pupils, but
continued to live in Slough.
She was ordered to take "gardening leave" in July 2010,
and suffered a miscarriage shortly afterwards.
She returned to work at the start of the new school
year but claimed the bullying, harassment and racial
discrimination started again.
She was signed off sick by her doctor in October
2010 and was later diagnosed with depression and symptoms of
post traumatic stress disorder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you