Indian-origin teacher in UK gives birth in classroom
London: An Indian-origin teacher in the UK has dramatically given birth to a baby boy in a classroom after she went into labour while in school.
Diane Krish-Veeramany, 30, went into labour, a week before her due date, and three of her colleagues at Manford Primary School helped deliver the baby, called Jonah.
Krish-Veeramany, who delivered the baby last Thursday said, "Everyone was so supportive and just acted on instinct."
"Luckily, my husband got to the school before I gave birth," she said.
"We now joke that he was late for his first day at school as he was born after the bell," the primary school teacher was quoted as saying by BBC.
Krish-Veeramany had gone to a morning meeting, but shortly afterwards she asked to go home after feeling ill.
"I texted my husband to come and get me... But my colleagues asked if I wanted an ambulance.
"I said `I`ll just go home` - I just didn`t think it would be a contraction as it didn`t feel like one," she said.
Her husband Vijaye Veeramany was on his way to pick up his wife when he got a call telling him she was in labour.
Teaching assistants Dita Gojnovci, Chris Sword and Sam Mustafa helped her give birth in a classroom.
"One person was on the phone to my husband, one was on the phone to my hospital and the other to an ambulance," said Krish-Veeramany.
"It all just happened really quickly, within 20 minutes of these phone calls I`d had Jonah," she added.
Jonah is her second child, but this birth was very different from her previous delivery which was in a hospital.
After giving birth Krish-Veeramany was taken by paramedics to Queen`s Hospital, in Romford, where mother and baby were later allowed to go home.
"The school have named the room he was born in after him - it`s now called Jonah`s Room," she said.
"Everyone has seen this sort of thing on the television before but you never dream it will happen in real life," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read