Indian-origin trainee teacher dies after attack in New Zealand
Melbourne: A 25-year-old Indian-origin trainee teacher in New Zealand died on Monday after being punched outside a fast food outlet in central Auckland.
Tarun Asthana, who was on life support in hospital since he was assaulted on Saturday morning, died in Auckland City Hospital today, police said.
He was surrounded by family and friends at the time of his death, local media reported quoting police officials.
Asthana was returning from a night of clubbing with friends when he was punched.
The offender had allegedly approached Asthana after a woman got upset when he complimented her on her dress.
Asthana was knocked to the ground by a single punch and lost consciousness after his head struck the pavement outside a McDonald`s in downtown Queen St, the reports said.
He was rushed to hospital and placed on life support. He, however, succumbed to his injuries.
Detective Senior Sergeant Peter Florence yesterday said the attacker had been in McDonald`s with several other men and women and the group had left straight after the attack.
Police yesterday arrested 27-year-old Grenville MacFarland and charged him with assaulting Asthana. He was produced today in the Auckland District Court. His charge has not yet been updated to reflect Asthana`s death.
MacFarland has been remanded on bail until November 15.
Inquiries were continuing and police were seeking any information from anyone who was in the area at the time and witnessed the assault.
Sam Matthews, a friend of Asthana, said he was the "most nice, peaceful guy out".
Asthana was training to become a primary school teacher at the University of Auckland. He worked in hospitality part-time.
His former employer at The Falls Restaurant, where he served front of house, said Asthana was a "kind, loyal, fun- loving guy. He was always respectful and nice to be around."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy