Indian-origin woman arrested, charged as part of UK anti-terror raid
Zee Media Bureau
London: The police in the United Kingdom have arrested an Indian-origin woman banker from London, in what is being dubbed an anti-terrorism operation.
Kuntal Patel, employed at the Barclays Bank in Canary Wharf, was arrested on Sunday and subsequently charged with attempted murder following a raid at her east London home.
The raid was conducted by the Metropolitan Police`s Counter Terrorism Command.
Kuntal, 36, is the daughter of magistrate Meena Patel, who sits on the bench at Thames Magistrates` Court in east London.
"Kuntal Patel…has tonight been charged with attempted murder following an investigation by the Counter-terrorism Command. She is due to appear in custody at Westminster magistrates court tomorrow, Thursday, 30 January," the police said in a statement yesterday.
A Met Police statement had earlier stated that inquiries were “ongoing as part of an intelligence-led pre-planned operation".
Ron Manley, a local councillor who has known the Patels for more than 20 years, described them as an "upstanding family".
"Meena is a magistrate and used to work for a local authority, Kuntal works in the City and her younger daughter Poonam is a pharmacist. They are a Hindu family and I`ve known the two girls since they were at primary school. They have always been very polite, very nice girls," he told `The Daily Telegraph`.
The son of Foreign Office diplomat Nicholas Sutcliffe, James, was also arrested as part of the operation earlier but has been released without charge triggering claims that counter-terror officials may have raided the wrong house.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!