Indian-origin woman arrested in US for abducting her child
New York: Police in US city of Dallas have recovered a child from the city airport who had been abducted by his Indian-origin mother nearly eight years ago and taken to India.
The mother, Padmashini Devi Drees, 38, was arrested at the airport. Her son Drew Dees, now 10, was recovered at the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport and reunited with his father Dean Drees, the McKinney Courier-Gazette reported.
Padmashini is in the Collin County jail on a USD 10,000 bail. Her inmate record lists Dean James Drees as her ex-husband. In addition to the child custody charge, a state jail felony, she is also on an immigration hold.
Police said Drew was two years old in late December 2006 when Padmashini kidnapped him.
The police had issued a warrant for her arrest for interference with child custody.
The case remained open and investigators found out about Padmashini`s location. The investigators learned that she planned to return to the US with her son and apprehended her at the airport.
McKinney police spokeswoman Sabrina Boston said in a release the agencies "combined resources and worked many long hours to bring about yesterday`s events and reunite the family".
The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children`s Family Advocacy Division is working to provide a "smooth transition" for Drew`s reunion with his father, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP