Indian-origin woman arrested in US for abducting her child
New York: Police in US city of Dallas have recovered a child from the city airport who had been abducted by his Indian-origin mother nearly eight years ago and taken to India.
The mother, Padmashini Devi Drees, 38, was arrested at the airport. Her son Drew Dees, now 10, was recovered at the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport and reunited with his father Dean Drees, the McKinney Courier-Gazette reported.
Padmashini is in the Collin County jail on a USD 10,000 bail. Her inmate record lists Dean James Drees as her ex-husband. In addition to the child custody charge, a state jail felony, she is also on an immigration hold.
Police said Drew was two years old in late December 2006 when Padmashini kidnapped him.
The police had issued a warrant for her arrest for interference with child custody.
The case remained open and investigators found out about Padmashini`s location. The investigators learned that she planned to return to the US with her son and apprehended her at the airport.
McKinney police spokeswoman Sabrina Boston said in a release the agencies "combined resources and worked many long hours to bring about yesterday`s events and reunite the family".
The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children`s Family Advocacy Division is working to provide a "smooth transition" for Drew`s reunion with his father, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Subramanian Swamy's lecture on 'Emergency' cancelled
- Now, Lexit: London wants to stay with EU, says petition
- UP cops fight publicly over 'share of bribe', video goes viral - Watch
- Make your smoothie a successful summer diet with these magical ingredients!
- Delhi govt introduces 'Change-makers in education' fellowship