‘Indian-origin woman killed by husband in Pakistan`
Ahmedabad: An Indian-origin woman hailing from the city was allegedly shot dead by her Pakistani husband in Karachi last month, her family members on Thursday claimed.
Shirley Ann Hodges (39), who after conversion had become Shabanm Khan, was killed her husband Gul Mohammad Khan on December 4 in Karachi, her brother Noel Hodges alleged.
"We came to know about the incident only yesterday. Our entire family is shell-shocked," Hodges said.
Karachi police had registered a case against Gul Mohammad Khan at Shah Latif police station and he had been arrested, Hodges said, adding that he spoke to the investigating officer over phone late last night.
"She met Khan, who claimed he was Indian resident, here, and they married in 1998. They had a daughter here in 1999," Hodges said.
Khan told her after the marriage that he was a Pakistani national. "He then took our sister and their daughter to Pakistan in 2000 on the pretext that he is taking them to meet her family, saying they will come back after six months."
But once there, Khan allegedly took away her passport and kept her under confinement. "He tortured her and she was never allowed to venture out of the house," Hodges added.
"When recently we came to know about the torture, we tried to bring her back. Through Pakistani activists, we petitioned the Pakistan Human Rights Commission too. When the enquiry was started in that country, he killed her," he said.
Shirley had two daughters from the marriage. One is 13 years old, the other six. "We have decided to petition Pakistan government to hand over custody of daughters to us," Hodges said.
"We have also decided to ask the Indian government to take up the case with Pakistan."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'