Indian-origin woman murdered in UK; husband arrested
London: A young Indian-origin woman has been
murdered and her right hand cut off in a west London locality,
a gruesome crime that has sent shockwaves in the community and
led to the arrest of her estranged husband and five other men.
Geeta Aulakh, 28, a receptionist with in the popular
Asian radio station Sunrise Radio, had left office on Monday
as usual to go to a child-minder`s house in Greenford area to
collect her two sons, aged 8 and 9, but never reached there.
Police said she was attacked just yards from the home of
the child-minder, at about 7 pm. Some passers-by later found
her lying unconscious on the street with severe head injuries
and one hand severed.
The woman, who was bleeding heavily, was taken in an
ambulance to the Charing Cross Hospital, where she died four
hours later, just as her mother arrived at her bedside.
Police later arrested her estranged husband, 31-year-old
Harpreet Aulakh, along with five other men. Harpreet is
currently being questioned by the police for the murder that
sent shockwaves in the area and among the Indian community.
Geeta, who has been described by her friends and family
as a "smiling, cheerful and helpful" girl, separated from her
husband Harpreet, or Sunny, about a year ago. The couple were
in the middle of divorce proceedings.
She had married Harpreet against the wishes of her
parents Nardesh, a receptionist and Lakwinder, a warehouse
worker. Geeta was born in Britain to Punjabi parents, while
Harpreet was born in Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers