Indian-origin woman murdered in UK; husband arrested
London: A young Indian-origin woman has been
murdered and her right hand cut off in a west London locality,
a gruesome crime that has sent shockwaves in the community and
led to the arrest of her estranged husband and five other men.
Geeta Aulakh, 28, a receptionist with in the popular
Asian radio station Sunrise Radio, had left office on Monday
as usual to go to a child-minder`s house in Greenford area to
collect her two sons, aged 8 and 9, but never reached there.
Police said she was attacked just yards from the home of
the child-minder, at about 7 pm. Some passers-by later found
her lying unconscious on the street with severe head injuries
and one hand severed.
The woman, who was bleeding heavily, was taken in an
ambulance to the Charing Cross Hospital, where she died four
hours later, just as her mother arrived at her bedside.
Police later arrested her estranged husband, 31-year-old
Harpreet Aulakh, along with five other men. Harpreet is
currently being questioned by the police for the murder that
sent shockwaves in the area and among the Indian community.
Geeta, who has been described by her friends and family
as a "smiling, cheerful and helpful" girl, separated from her
husband Harpreet, or Sunny, about a year ago. The couple were
in the middle of divorce proceedings.
She had married Harpreet against the wishes of her
parents Nardesh, a receptionist and Lakwinder, a warehouse
worker. Geeta was born in Britain to Punjabi parents, while
Harpreet was born in Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read