Indian-origin woman named Professor at Harvard
Boston: Noted academician Gita Gopinath has been named professor of economics at the prestigious Harvard University, becoming the first Indian-origin woman professor in the institution`s history.
Gopinath, 38, has been a member of the Harvard faculty since 2005 and was named associate professor in 2009. Her focus area is business cycles in emerging markets and price fluctuations across international borders.
"Professor Gopinath`s research on emerging markets has proven extremely important to our understanding of their business cycles and her studies of price stickiness have been highly influential among macroeconomists," dean of social science in Harvard`s Faculty of Arts and Sciences Stephen Kosslyn said here.
Gopinath`s research has examined price stickiness at the US border, addressing questions on whether prices are set in the producer`s or the consumer`s currency and how this transnational pricing responds to exchange rate shocks.
University President Drew G Faust had confirmed tenure for Gopinath in May, making her only the second internally promoted woman full professor and the third woman to be tenured full professor in the department.
"On campus, she has played a central role in the vitality of our programme in international economics and especially in teaching and advising students in this field," Kosslyn added.
A University of Delhi alumnus, Kolkata-born Gopinath has a Ph.D in economics from Princeton University.
She was an assistant professor of economics at the University of Chicago`s Graduate School of Business.
She is also an associate of the National Bureau for Economic Research, the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, the International Growth Centre at the London School of Economics and Oxford University.
Earlier this month, IIT alumnus Nitin Nohria took over as the 10th Dean of Harvard Business School (HBS). At HBS itself, Nohria is among some 25 teachers of Indian-origin in a faculty of just over 200.
Nobel laureate Amartya Sen is currently the Thomas W Lamont University Professor and Professor of Economics and Philosophy at Harvard.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler