Indian pharmacist shot dead in New Jersey
Trenton (New Jersey): An Indian-American
pharmacy owner here was shot dead allegedly by a black
teenager after he refused to give a medicine to the boy
without a valid prescription.
52-year-old Arjun Reddy Dyapa, owner of Brunswick Avenue
Pharmacy in Broad Street, was shot in the chest and brought
dead to Capital Health Regional Medical Centre across the
pharmacy around 6.30 pm local time last evening.
Eye witnesses said a teenage African-American with
dreadlocks showed up at the counter and demanded a
prescription medicine without producing valid prescription
issued by a physician.
Dyapa politely refused and said sorry but when the
customer insisted that he be given the medicine, he told the
boy that he would lose his licence if he obliges him.
The customer, at that time, seemed to have resigned to
the fate and nodded his head, said Dyapa`s staff. The boy left
only to return again and fired one bullet at Dyapa from his
pistol from behind.
The police have taken the video camera recordings and are
confident of nabbing the criminal very soon.
Dyapa, a native of Jadcherala village in Mehboobnagar
district of Andhra Pradesh, is survived by wife Geetha and a
Dyapa was an active community activist and one of the
founders of North American Telugu Association (NATA) and also
a senior leader of American Telugu Association (ATA). He was
involved with several social and cultural organisations in New
Steve Ettman, who owns Westside Pharmacy on Hermitage
Avenue, said he was "absolutely shocked" by the news. He is
offering a USD 1,000 reward for information leading to the
arrest and conviction of the killer.
"This could happen to any of us and Reddy was a nice guy,
ever helpful," he said.
The shocked Indian-American community leaders gathered at
the hospital to console the family and assist in the
identification of the culprit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video