‘Indian prisoner in Pak jail Chamel Singh was tortured before death’
Lahore: An initial autopsy report has indicated that deceased Indian prisoner Chamel Singh was tortured to death.
Singh, 40, was thrashed to death by the wardens of the Pakistan prison, where he was serving a term for illegally crossing the border. He was arrested on charges of espionage in 2008.
Singh was sentenced to five years imprisonment by Pakistan court in August 2010. He died on January 15, 2013, reports The Express Tribune.
Pakistani lawyer Tehseen Khan had said that the jail authorities passed racist remarks against Indians, to which Singh objected.
According to the autopsy report, traces of four injuries were found on Singh`s body including a fracture in the right knee, an abrasion on the left knee joint, an abrasion over his upper lip and scars on his thigh.
A chemical report to ascertain the cause of death will take about two more weeks.
The autopsy was conducted at Jinnah Hospital Lahore almost two months after Singh`s death. The autopsy was conducted on March 13, the same day Singh`s body was sent back to India.
A doctor at the hospital said Singh was brought dead to the hospital, and added that his body bore signs of torture. He further said that the hospital was given no file for Singh`s case, which goes against the regular practice.
Awais Sheikh, counsel for Indian prisoners in Pakistan, said he holds both the Punjab home department and the Interior ministry responsible for Singh`s death, alongside jail officials. He accused the departments of trying to cover up the issue.
Sheikh had earlier approached the Lahore High Court for an inquiry into Singh`s death, but his petition was turned down.
The case`s investigation officer, meanwhile, said that they were waiting for the final autopsy report and would act accordingly against accused individuals if the allegation of torture is conclusively proved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3