Indian prisoner`s death: J&K govt to take up issue with Centre
New Delhi/Jammu: Days after it was revealed that an Indian prisoner was tortured to death in a Pakistani jail, J&K government on Wednesday said it will take up the matter with the Centre even as BJP demanded a strong message be sent to Pakistan that such inhuman act will not be tolerated.
"We will call for the details and we will take up the matter with the Ministry of External Affairs," Jammu and Kashmir Minister of State for Home, Sajjad Ahmad Kichloo, said in Jammu.
His remarks came after a preliminary postmortem report of Indian prisoner Chamel Singh found four injuries, including a fracture, on his body. He was allegedly assaulted by the prison staff in Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat Jail. Singh, said to be in his sixties, hailed from Jammu district.
Kichloo said the state government had taken the initiative in ensuring the return of the prisoner`s body.
Meanwhile, BJP leader Balbir Punj asked the government to make it clear to the neighbouring country that it will not tolerate this sort of inhuman behaviour.
"There has been repetition of such unfortunate incidents particularly in Pakistan, from the Pakistani side. Earlier they beheaded two of our soldiers," he told reporters in Delhi.
"I can understand people fighting a war and somebody gets killed. But this sort of cruelty, inhumanity, which has been evident on the part of Pakistan while dealing with India and Indians is really very sad," he said.
Punj said, "It shows the amount of hatred they have towards India somewhere and particularly Hindus. ... The least the Government of India can do is to...Make it clear to Pakistan, once and for all, that we will not tolerate this sort of inhuman behaviour in the future," he said.
Mustafa Kamal of the National Conference said such incidents will happen till India and Pakistan do not patch up and bury their hatchet.
"And till such time the nation will continue to suffer. These things will continue to happen and principally the worst sufferer will be the Jammu and Kashmir state," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know