Indian prisoners in Kuwait likely to be released in 2 days: Ravi
New Delhi: The government is in constant touch with its mission in Kuwait to ensure the release of all Indians who were detained for alleged misuse of visa and the issue is likely to be resolved in a couple of days, Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi said on Tuesday.
He said the issue is likely to be resolved within a "day or two" and the Indian Mission was trying its best to facilitate release of the detained Indians.
Over 1,000 Indians from Rajasthan were detained by local authorities in Kuwait last week for allegedly violating visa rules.
"The issue will be resolved in a day or two," Ravi said when asked about the detained Indians. He said some of the Indians have already been released.
The Minister said government was in constant touch with the Indian embassy which has been holding talks with local authorities to ensure the release of the remaining Indians.
The Indians had gone to Kuwait to work as domestic help but they were given some "other work" by the sponsor which was "violation" of the visa rules, said Ravi, holding the sponsor responsible for the plight of the Indians.
Ravi said he was also in touch with Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot and told him to punish the Indian agents who have sent the Indians to Kuwait.
On Wednesday last, Kuwait`s Ministry of Interior arrested over 2,000 individuals across the country for expired residency and alleged involvement in drug, theft, liquor and other such cases during impromptu security campaigns.
Around 1,800 of these are believed to be Indians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi