Indian probe team to Bangladesh for questioning Belal
New Delhi: A team of security officials will
soon leave for Bangladesh to question a top Jaish-e-Mohammed
militant accused of carrying out several blasts, including
those in Bangalore and Surat in 2008, besides claiming to be
involved in hijacking of an Indian Airlines plane to Kandahar.
Top government sources said the team would question
Nannu Mia alias Belal Mandol, who was arrested on February 28
along with four operatives of the Pakistan-based militant
group JeM. These included its Pakistani coordinator in
Bangladesh who was also a recruiter for operations in India.
Though Belal had claimed to have played a key role in
the hijacking of the Indian Airlines plane to Kandahar in
1999, sources here said it is yet to be ascertained.
He is, however, wanted in Bangalore and Surat blasts in
2008 which had shocked the country and the security set up.
Sources said India hoped that Bangladesh will hand over
Belal after the authorities there finish their investigations.
Belal, who claims to be a native of north Bangladeshi
town Shylet, has an Indian wife hailing from West Bengal, the
Of the five JeM activists, one is a Pakistani national
while the remaining four are Bangladeshi citizens, Mohammad
Kamaruzzaman, Assistant Director of the elite Rapid Action
Battalion (RAB) of Bagladesh had said.
Another important arrest was that of Karachi resident
Rezwan, 26, who RAB officials said had confessed that he was
JeM`s regional coordinator and also a recruiting agent for
conducting operations in India.
JeM, founded by Maulana Masood Azhar, was responsible
for the December 13, 2001 terrorist attack on Parliament House
in New Delhi.
The banned terror group was launched on January 31, 2000,
by Azhar in Karachi after he and two other top militants were
released by Indian government as part of a deal to secure the
release of Indian hostages in Kandahar, Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video