This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Indian racially attacked in London

Last Updated: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 21:39

London: An Indian shop assistant suffered
a broken jaw after being beaten by a gang of racist thugs
after abusing him when he tried to stop them attacking a woman
in Edinburgh in Scotland.

21-year old Pankaj Rawat was walking home after a
night out when he intervened to protect the woman on Waverley

But he was hit with a volley of racial abuse before
being punched to the ground by one of the men in the group of
five before another repeatedly kicked him.
He said he was called an Indian b****** by the thugs.

Rawat, who moved from India to Edinburgh 18 months
ago, was rushed to hospital, where he had a metal plate fitted
to his fractured jaw.

Now he has lost his job with a city clothes shop after
his bosses were unable to give him four weeks off work to
recover from his injuries.

Police are appealing for help in tracing the five men
involved in the incident, who fled down Princes Street.

Rawat told Edinburgh Evening News: "I`d been out for a
friend`s party at Mood and was walking back to my home in
Tollcross with another friend. As we were crossing Waverley
Bridge, I saw two Scottish men shouting at a woman. One of
them was pushing her and trying to kiss her, and she was
shouting for help."

"I told them to leave her alone or I would call the
police. The men who was pushing the woman came over to me and
asked where I was from. I told him I was from India and he
started shouting "b****** Indian b****** at me."
"I told him I didn`t want any problems, but he
couldn`t do that to a woman. He kept making racial comments
then he punched me on the side of the cheek. He punched me a
second time and I fell to the ground."

"The other man with him came over and both of them
started kicking me on the face as I was on the ground. Another
three men also stood around me so my friend couldn`t see what
was happening."

After the assault, an ambulance took Rawat to
Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for treatment.

He was later transferred to St John`s Hospital in
Livingstone to undergo an operation to insert a metal plate
into his jaw.

Rawat said: "I was released from the hospital on
Monday and I`m still in lot of pain. I have painkillers to
take and I need to stay on a liquid diet. I lost my job,
though because they weren`t able to give me the month off.

"It was totally a racist attack because they kept
asking where I was from and shouting racist abuse.

I came to Scotland last year and I`ve had people
calling me a `Paki`, but this is the first time I`ve been

The first suspect is white, 18 to 20 years, between
5ft 6in and 5ft 7in tall with a thin build and brown hair.

The second suspect is white, 18 to 20 years old.


First Published: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 21:39

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus