Indian role in US resolution forced our exit: Karunanidhi
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi said on Wednesday that his party quit the UPA after India helped in watering down the US resolution against Sri Lanka at the UNHRC in Geneva.
Karunanidhi also condemned some media outlets for distorting his statement regarding the reasons for the DMK`s pullout from the Congres-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) and the central government.
Karunanidhi said, "The party has clearly stated that the Indian government has assisted in watering down of the US resolution (against Sri Lanka).
"Further the amendments to the US resolution suggested by the party were not considered by the central government," he said in a statement.
"In these circumstances, the party decided to pull out of the UPA."
He said the DMK wanted two changes in the American resolution introduced in the 47-member UNHRC.
It wanted attacks on Tamils by the Sri Lankan military as "war crimes" and "genocide" during the final stages of the war that destroyed the Tamil Tigers in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents