Indian role in US resolution forced our exit: Karunanidhi
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi said on Wednesday that his party quit the UPA after India helped in watering down the US resolution against Sri Lanka at the UNHRC in Geneva.
Karunanidhi also condemned some media outlets for distorting his statement regarding the reasons for the DMK`s pullout from the Congres-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) and the central government.
Karunanidhi said, "The party has clearly stated that the Indian government has assisted in watering down of the US resolution (against Sri Lanka).
"Further the amendments to the US resolution suggested by the party were not considered by the central government," he said in a statement.
"In these circumstances, the party decided to pull out of the UPA."
He said the DMK wanted two changes in the American resolution introduced in the 47-member UNHRC.
It wanted attacks on Tamils by the Sri Lankan military as "war crimes" and "genocide" during the final stages of the war that destroyed the Tamil Tigers in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report