Indian sentenced to prison for threatening to bomb US company
New York: A 56-year old Indian man, who had called himself a "terrorist", has been sentenced to six months imprisonment for threatening to bomb a Connecticut-based company.
Shaneel Jain of Rhode Island was sentenced today by US District Judge Robert Chatigny in Hartford to six months of imprisonment, one year of supervised release and three months of home confinement for threatening to bomb the facilities of Z-Medica Corporation, US Attorney for the District of Connecticut David Fein said.
A jury had in July this year found Jain guilty of one count of making a bomb threat and one count of false information and hoaxes.
According to the evidence presented during the trial, Jain made a series of telephone calls from India to Z-Medica in April 2010. At the time, he was engaged in a civil lawsuit with Z-Medica based on their prior business relationship.
Z-Medica produces QuickClot, a medical agent that rapidly stops bleeding outside the surgical setting. QuickClot is used by the US military and the militaries of some allied countries.
During these phone calls, Jain threatened to bomb Z-Medica within 24 hours. He also said that he was a terrorist who had done this before and that American law "couldn`t touch" him.
As a result of the threat, FBI and the Connecticut State Police conducted searches of Z-Medica`s facilities. Z-Medica also cancelled shifts, which resulted in an order for QuickClot being delayed.
The company also utilised private security for several weeks. However, no bomb or other explosive was ever found at Z-Medica.
Jain was ordered to pay USD 12,386 as restitution. He had been released on bond since his arrest in March 2012 and was ordered to report to prison on February 8, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof