Indian `sets afire` Nepali girl for refusing to elope with him
Kathmandu: An Indian man allegedly set on fire a 16-year-old Nepalese girl after she refused to elope with him, leaving her with serious burn injuries.
23-year-old Babu Khan, a resident of Baharaich in Uttar Pradesh, poured petrol over the girl in Bardiya district of western Nepal near the Indian border on Saturday, Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) Keshav Adhikari said on Sunday.
The man, who was arrested after the incident, set the girl on fire after she refused to elope with him against the wish of her parents, he said.
The girl has been admitted to hospital and her condition is said to be critical. Doctors attending on her said she has suffered 90 per cent burns.
Khan, police claimed, has admitted that he had set the girl ablaze.
Khan, who had long been courting the girl for marriage, worked as a mechanic in a local motorcycle garage. He was living near the girl`s house.
The victim had told Khan that she would marry him only if her parents agreed to the match and refused to elope with him, police said.
They said the girl`s brother, Tanvir Ahmed, had warned Khan to stay away from his sister.
Khan had earlier agreed to leave the girl alone during a compromise reached in the presence of police on Thursday.
"In our community, we don`t let the female members of our house to venture outside without the permission of the elders. So there was no chance of him meeting my sister. But, Khan continued to harass my sister on phone," Ahmed told police.
At around 6 am on Saturday, Khan walked to the girl`s house, poured petrol on her and set her on fire, police claimed.
The girl`s family members were asleep during the incident.
"The doctors have referred her to Kathmandu for further treatment, but we cannot afford that," said Tanvir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test