Indian stuck for 30 yrs in Oman, dies before getting exit-pass
Dubai: A 56-year-old Indian, who had been stuck in Oman for 30 years while awaiting an exit pass from the Gulf nation, died hours before he got signed documents proving his Indian nationality.
Madhusudhan, who first came to Muscat in 1977 from Kerala, had been living on the roof of a building in Muscat after his bag containing his passport and other documents were stolen.
Earlier, he had tried in vain to prove his nationality to Indian embassy officials in Muscat and government officials in Kerala, media reports said.
Finally a nativity certificate was issued to him but, unfortunately, it came just hours before his death, the reports said.
According to a Times of Oman report, even though he had a few documents to prove his Indian nationality, it was insufficient to obtain an out-pass.
Madhusudan had been working in a construction company for a few years and last visited his home in 1983.
"After 30 years of struggle, Madhu passed away, putting an end to his long wait," Muneer, a social worker in Muscat, told the newspaper.
"We came to know of Madhu from our friends last week. We found him lying in front of a building in Darsait, shivering from the cold. He didn`t have enough clothes to keep himself warm. He was not even able to talk. Somehow, he managed to reveal his identity. So we quickly rushed him to hospital," Muneer said.
After becoming an undocumented migrant, he had approached embassy officials several times to get an out-pass.
"He had a National Cadet Corps [NCC] certificate and even a copy of his ration card. But these papers were not enough for the embassy officials to provide an out-pass. They insisted that he should provide his `nativity certificate`. Now that it`s finally on its way, he didn`t wait for it," the social worker was quoted as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past