Indian student commits suicide in Saudi Arabia
Dubai: An 18-year-old Indian student in Saudi Arabia has allegedly committed suicide after failing in his class 12 CBSE exams, results of which were declared on Monday.
Mir Ameer Ansari from Dammam in Saudi Arabia`s Eastern Province was an intelligent student but took his life after failing in Mathematics, the Arab News reported on Wednesday.
"He just couldn`t come to terms with the fact that he could only score 17 out of 100 in mathematics," the report quoted a community elder as saying.
"Our prayers are with the family in these difficult hours", the elder said.
His body has been kept in Dammam Central Hospital.
Circumstances that led Ansari to kill himself are being investigated, the report said.
Ansari`s parents are from Hyderabad, India. The family is distraught.
The incident has shocked the Indian community in the Eastern Province, particularly because Ansari had done well in almost all the subjects, including securing 73 out of 100 marks in English.
Expressing shock and grief, the teaching community in Indian schools has called for counselling sessions for exam-stressed students.
Indian students took to social media sites to pay tribute to Ansari.
"I knew Ameer very well; I don`t know why he has taken his life; he had gotten a compartment (second chance) and could have easily cleared the math paper in a month or two," said his friend Laeeq Ahmed on Facebook.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'