Indian student commits suicide in Saudi Arabia
Dubai: An 18-year-old Indian student in Saudi Arabia has allegedly committed suicide after failing in his class 12 CBSE exams, results of which were declared on Monday.
Mir Ameer Ansari from Dammam in Saudi Arabia`s Eastern Province was an intelligent student but took his life after failing in Mathematics, the Arab News reported on Wednesday.
"He just couldn`t come to terms with the fact that he could only score 17 out of 100 in mathematics," the report quoted a community elder as saying.
"Our prayers are with the family in these difficult hours", the elder said.
His body has been kept in Dammam Central Hospital.
Circumstances that led Ansari to kill himself are being investigated, the report said.
Ansari`s parents are from Hyderabad, India. The family is distraught.
The incident has shocked the Indian community in the Eastern Province, particularly because Ansari had done well in almost all the subjects, including securing 73 out of 100 marks in English.
Expressing shock and grief, the teaching community in Indian schools has called for counselling sessions for exam-stressed students.
Indian students took to social media sites to pay tribute to Ansari.
"I knew Ameer very well; I don`t know why he has taken his life; he had gotten a compartment (second chance) and could have easily cleared the math paper in a month or two," said his friend Laeeq Ahmed on Facebook.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH