Indian student shot dead in Canada
Toronto: An Indian student, working part time
at a convenience store, was shot dead in the western Canadian
city of Surrey, in a shocking Christmas Day attack.
Alok Gupta, 27, had volunteered to work the afternoon
shift to allow the store owners celebrate Christmas together,
and was killed by an unidentified gunman.
It is not yet clear whether Gupta was shot during a
Police is yet to make an arrest in connection with the
case, but say they do not believe it was gang-related.
"The victim was working Christmas Day as a good deed to
the owners who wished to celebrate Christmas together," said
Sgt Jennifer Pound of the Integrated Homicide Investigation
Gupta sought help at a nearby residence and was taken to
hospital. However, he was pronounced dead a short time later,
Pound was quoted as saying by the `Vancouver Sun` newspaper.
"Although it appears that the victim died from a gunshot
wound, the cause of death will ultimately be confirmed through
an autopsy," she said.
Gupta`s brother-in-law Nitin Bhutani said his family is in
a state of shock since they were informed of the shocking
Bhutani said Alok, who was studying Master`s in Business
Administration at Kwantlen University, was getting "excellent
grades" and was close to the top of his class.
The family`s main concern is that police arrest Gupta`s
murderer, Bhutani told CTV News from Germany.
"We want that Alok should get justice and the guy who is
at large, who did that, should be put behind bars."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan