Indian student stabbed in UK, govt intervenes
London: An Indian student enrolled for an MBA in the UK was critically stabbed in the London borough of Newham last night, Scotland Yard said on Saturday.
Eleven people have been arrested following the stabbing of the Indian student who was not named by the Scotland Yard.
As per standard practice, Scotland Yard did not name the victim, but said he is in hospital in a critical condition.
Reports in the Indian media have identified the victim as Praveen Reddy, who was enrolled for an MBA at the London Business School.
"Police called at 08.23 on Friday, 10 February to Newham General Hospital after a man in his 20`s was admitted suffering from stab wounds. He is currently in hospital in a critical condition," Scotland Yard said in a statement
A day after Praveen was stabbed, the Indian government offered full assistance to the victim’s family.
According to reports, External Affairs Minister SM Krishna spoke to the acting High Commissioner Rajesh Prasad, asking him to extend all possible help to him.
Krishna also spoke to Andhra Pradesh-based businessman Sudhakar Reddy, father of the stabbed student, Praveen, assuring him of all help in getting visa, official sources in New Delhi said.
They also said that High Commission officials in the UK were coordinating with the doctors treating Praveen and MEA officials in Delhi will take up the matter with the British High Commission to ensure expeditious issuance of the visa to his parents.
This is the fourth attack on Indians in the last two months. Earlier three incidents were fatal.
In the earlier incidents, 23-year-old Anuj Bidve was shot dead in Greater Manchester in Salford on December 26. The UK Police also confirmed on January 10, the death of 20-year-old student Gurdeep Hayer in Manchester city centre. This was followed by the murder of Avatar Singh Kolar, 62, and his British wife Carole Kolar, 58, in Birmingham on January 11.
With Agency Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Watch: Jimmy Sheirgill's political drama 'Shorgul's trailer packs a punch!
- Actors face many demons everyday: Radhika Apte
- EPFO to hire consultant to draft housing scheme for members
- Ravi Shastri rates his 18-month stint as Indian team's Director the most memorable
- CBSE class 10 result 2016, CBSE Class X Results 2016, CBSE 10th Board Result 2016 to be declared tomorrow; check www.cbse.nic.in, www.cbseresults.nic.in