Indian suffocated to death in Dubai
Dubai: A 55-year-old Indian working as a
porter in a fruit and vegetable market here was suffocated to
death after spending the night in a closed onion container,
police said on Monday.
The porter, identified only as SB, suffocated as a result
of lack of oxygen in the container, Brigadier Khalil Ebrahim
Al Mansouri, Director of Dubai Police`s Criminal Investigation
Department (CID) said.
During the night, the onions absorbed all the oxygen in
the closed container, suffocating the worker who was sleeping
inside, Brig Al Mansouri said.
He highlighted the risk of sleeping in a closed space
with plants, as the plants take in oxygen and omit carbon
dioxide at night, which in huge quantities could cause harm or
Authorities are running an awareness campaign to spread
awareness among porters and workers at the vegetable and fruit
market about staying safe and avoiding hazards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement