Indian team in Sri Lanka to repair damaged boats
Colombo: A team of 81 people from Tamil Nadu
is heading to Sri Lanka`s northern areas to repair the Indian
fishing boats that were rescued by the Lankan Navy following
the cyclone that wreaked damage in coastal areas of the state.
The personnel on board 16 boats were on their way from
Tamil Nadu, the Navy said on Wednesday.
Nine Indian boats with 40 fishermen had been rescued by
the Sri Lankan Navy late last month after they were caught in
troubled waters following Cyclone Thane.
35 of the 40 fishermen from the state who had drifted into
Sri Lankan waters following adverse weather conditions were
brought back by the Indian Coast Guard to Mandapam yesterday,
after they were released by the court in the Island republic.
While two of the boats were used to repatriate the 35 men,
seven others needed repairs to be able to sail back, the Navy
Indian fishermen had drifted into Sri Lankan waters after
cyclone `Thane` hit Tamil Nadu`s coast. The resulting troubled
weather conditions had also delayed the repatriation process,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Tripura Civil Service officer rapes woman in Agartala, now absconding
- Summer health tips: How to stay energetic throughout the day!
- China reacts to PM Modi, says wants 'mutually acceptable solution to issues with India'
- Ravi Shastri accuses Sourav Ganguly of being disrespectful during the interview process
- China: 131 admitted to hospital after leak at chemical factory