Indian team in Sri Lanka to repair damaged boats
Colombo: A team of 81 people from Tamil Nadu
is heading to Sri Lanka`s northern areas to repair the Indian
fishing boats that were rescued by the Lankan Navy following
the cyclone that wreaked damage in coastal areas of the state.
The personnel on board 16 boats were on their way from
Tamil Nadu, the Navy said on Wednesday.
Nine Indian boats with 40 fishermen had been rescued by
the Sri Lankan Navy late last month after they were caught in
troubled waters following Cyclone Thane.
35 of the 40 fishermen from the state who had drifted into
Sri Lankan waters following adverse weather conditions were
brought back by the Indian Coast Guard to Mandapam yesterday,
after they were released by the court in the Island republic.
While two of the boats were used to repatriate the 35 men,
seven others needed repairs to be able to sail back, the Navy
Indian fishermen had drifted into Sri Lankan waters after
cyclone `Thane` hit Tamil Nadu`s coast. The resulting troubled
weather conditions had also delayed the repatriation process,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem