Indian tourists robbed at Thai beach resort
Bangkok: Two Indian tourists in the Thai beach town of Pattaya, were allegedly forced to pay USD 1,400 after being threatened by a gang which claimed the jet skis used by the duo were damaged after use.
A police official said he came across two Indian men sitting on a pavement, crying and looking stressed while he was patrolling along Pattaya beach on Wednesday night, the Bangkok Post reported.
Medical students Rajkumar Ramachandran, 27, and Prabhakar Tamilmaran, 22, told him they were threatened and extorted by a group of men running a jet ski rental business on Chai Had Road, the police official said.
There have been similar incidents in the past where several Indian nationals have fallen for the scam and forced to cough up hundreds of dollars.
The modus operandi in the crime is very simple.
When the jet skis are returned after use by the tourists, some operators claim that the vehicle has been damaged and extort money from scared non-Thai speaking tourists.
"After we returned the jet skis and parked them next to each other, strong waves caused them to hit one another," one of the tourists said.
Later, the owner and six men surrounded them and demanded an explanation.
The two Indians told them that the jet skis did not bump into one another while they were driving them, but only after they were parked, and that the damage was minimal.
"The men demanded USD 2,000 from us. We were afraid and all we had was USD 1,400, or about 42,000 baht," the tourists told the police.
The gang accepted the payment and left.
"We visited Thailand because it is a popular tourist destination and because Thai people are nice and friendly. We never thought that we would experience this," the tourists were quoted as saying in the news report.
Prasit Mansri, investigative officer at Pattaya police station, said the two tourists had filed a complaint with police.
They wanted police to inspect the actual cause of damage to the jet skis and determine whether it was worth the money they were forced to give the operators.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre