Indian troops not allowed patrolling up to LAC?
New Delhi: A committee tasked by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to assess the situation on the China border is understood to have reported that Indian troops are not being allowed to patrol up to the perceived Line of Actual Control (LAC) by Chinese Army.
The team, headed by National Security Advisory Board (NSAB) chairman Shyam Saran, visited Ladakh between August 2 and 9 to review the border infrastructure development and the situation there.
It is believed to have said that Chinese troops have built motorable roads inside the LAC perceived by India in Daulat Beg Oldie and other sectors in Ladakh and that patrolling by Indian troops was being prevented, sources said.
The issue was raised in the Lok Sabha today by BJP leader Yashwant Sinha who said media reports have quoted the Committee as having concluded that 640 sq km of Indian territory has been occupied by China.
He wanted Defence Minister A K Antony to immediately clarify the situation in Parliament. Government agreed, saying Antony will be requested to make a statement by 1 PM tomorrow or as early as possible.
"The Parliament is unaware of this... The Defence Minister should be called immediately to the House and he should clarify on the issue. There should be a debate in the House," Sinha said.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath said the government understands the seriousness of the matter but cannot make a statement immediately. "I will request the defence minister to make a statement tomorrow," he said.
However, this did not satisfy the opposition benches and members from BJP, Shiv Sena and SP, among others were on their feet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'