Indian weather forecast following Indonesian quake
New Delhi: In the face of a giant 8.6 magnitude earthquake that hit Indonesia’s western coast on Wednesday, the Indian government issued an alert for the coastal regions of the country which was lifted later. Strong tremors were felt in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal and parts of Northeast India as people were seen scurrying out of the buildings in panic. Though the tsunami threats have been withdrawn, people remain curious about what’s in store for them in coming days. So, here are the weather predictions for different parts of the country.
The upper air cyclonic circulation over Haryana and neighbourhood in lower levels persists. A trough from this system extends up to Assam with embedded cyclonic circulation over north Chhattisgarh and neighbourhood. The Western Disturbance over north Pakistan and adjoining Jammu & Kashmir persists. It would affect Western Himalayan region during next 3 days.
Weather Alert for Delhi & NCR
Rain / dust storm is likely to occur over Delhi and NCR associated with strong wind (speed may reach 40 - 50 km/h or more) between 2100 hrs / 11 Apr 2012 and 0100 hrs / 12 Apr 2012.
West coast and South Peninsula
Rain/thundershowers would occur at one or two places over Andaman & Nicobar Island, Lakshadweep and south Peninsula. Due to an earthquake measuring 8.6 over north Sumatra at 1438 IST a tsunami alert has been issued for 28 countries including India. Andaman & Nicobar Island may get affected by the tidal waves.
Tsunami Alert for Tamil Nadu & AP Coast
High Tide of 2-3 meters may affect coastal areas of Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh coast in association with earthquake off north Indonesia coast.
North and Northwest India
Marginal rise in temperatures is expected over plains of northwest India. Rain/thundershowers would occur at one or two places over Jammu & Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh. Dust/thunder storm may occur at one or two places over Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan and west Uttar Pradesh during next 24 hours.
East India and Central Peninsula
Rain/thundershowers would occur at many places over Sub-Himalayan West Bengal & Sikkim and at a few places over Gangetic West Bengal. Rain/thundershowers would also expected at one or two places over Bihar, Orissa, Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh.
North East India
Rain/thundershowers would occur at many places over northeast India. Heavy rainfall is also expected at a few places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Section 144 imposed in Agartala after clashes over separate tribal state, 20 injured
- 22 persons killed, over 23 lakh affected in Bihar floods
- India highest recipient of H-1B visas with almost 70% share: US
- Greece says at least 41,000 asylum seekers on its territory
- BSF training Narayani Sena, private army of erstwhile Maharaja of Coochbehar, says TMC