Indian who killed six Saudis in accident released
Dubai: An Indian man, who was jailed for
killing six people in a road accident in Saudi Arabia, has
been released after the family of the victims agreed to a
Sulieman Abubakr, 55, from Karnataka was driving on
the highway to Saudi capital of Riyadh in April 2008 when his
truck collided with a vehicle, killing six members of a Saudi
The accident occurred about 200 km from Taif after
which Abubakr was arrested.
Abubakr was freed from Taif Central Jail on Monday
after his company`s insurer paid the blood-money, the Arab
News report said.
"After a hearing in the case, a Taif court ruled that
USD 179,992 (675,000 Saudi riyals) be paid in blood money to
the family members of the accident victims," said E M Abdulla,
general coordinator of the India Fraternity Forum.
"The family members of the accident victims never
asked for execution. They had asked for the blood money, but
the insurance company was reluctant at first," Abdulla told
Abubakr had only been on the job for three months
when the accident took place.
Members of the India Fraternity Forum from Taif,
Riyadh and Jeddah negotiated with the family of the dead, the
insurance company and the authorities to reach a settlement.
"Abubakr`s family in India is very poor and needed
financial and moral support, which forum members provided,"
Abdulla was quoted as saying.
India Fraternity Forum members as well as the welfare
section of the Consulate General of India in Jeddah, were
instrumental in negotiating a settlement in the tragic case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- New Zealand to keep trialling day-night first-class cricket
- Delhi sex racket busted: Girls confined in almirahs; forced to sleep with clients in cubicles
- SMASH HIT: Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is still ruling the Box Office! – Details inside
- Yogeshwar Dutt's Bronze to be upgraded to Silver: Virender Sehwag expresses excitement with HILARIOUS tweet
- Rahul Gandhi on three-day visit to Amethi from Wednesday