Indian women killed, granddaughter abducted in US
Washington: An Indian woman from Andhra Pradesh visiting the US was killed when she apparently tried to resist the abduction of her 10-month-old granddaughter.
The police and the FBI have launched a massive manhunt to find the assailants and the kidnappers.
"Saanvi Venna is believed to have been taken from her family`s apartment after the murder of her grandmother, Satayvathi Venna, age 61, on Monday," Montgomery County District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman said in a statement.
Pennsylvania State Police has issued an Amber Child Abduction Alert.
According to Ferman, the body of Satyavathi Venna, the paternal grandmother of Saanvi, was discovered inside the apartment.
Satyavathi had arrived from India for a visit in July and was scheduled to return home in January. She was babysitting the child.
The parents of the child, Venkata Konda Siva Venna (father) and Chenchu Latha Punuru (mother), had emigrated from India in February 2007 and have previously lived in San Antonio Texas, Troy Michigan, and Cleveland Ohio. In June this year, they moved to King of Prussia in Pennsylvania.
An autopsy of the body of Satyavathi Venna is underway, Ferman said.
In a televised news conference, Venkata Konda Siva Venna, made a brief, emotional plea, asking help.
"If someone finds my baby, could you please bring my baby back?" he was quoted as saying by the Philly Inquirer.
According to the daily, the neighbours expressed shock at the incident.
"You always fear the worst," Veronica Nava, 36, who lives in the same complex, told the daily.
"I feel bad... For the guy who is looking for his daughter," said resident Tanya Bazylskiy, who lives in the C building.
She said the apartment had many young professionals and families living there, "good neighbours".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing