Indian women peacekeepers have set an example: Hillary
Washington: In preventing violence against women and girls in Liberia, Indian women peacekeepers have set an example that must be emulated in UN peacekeeping missions across the world, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said.
"I recently met with an all women police unit from India in Liberia who provide an excellent example of the steps a UN mission can take in cooperation with the host government to prevent violence against women and girls," Clinton told the Security Council on Wednesday.
"The Indian unit has helped to motivate more Liberian women to participate in a campaign against rape, launched jointly by UN and the Liberian government," she said, adding the women peacekeepers have "set an example that must be repeated in UN peacekeeping missions all over the world".
Asking member states to include women in designing and implementing national and international peace building programmes, she said: "More bodies like the Indian unit in Liberia were needed to combat sexual violence in the conflict zones."
"We must seek to ensure that our respective military and police forces especially those that will participate in peacekeeping missions develop the expertise to prevent and respond to violence against women and children," Clinton said.
"This will be helped by increasing the number of women who serve in UN peacekeeping missions," she said, adding "Let us not forget that women lead the call for peace in communities shattered by violence."
During its 15-year-long civil war Liberia suffered from rampant rape and other forms of sexual violence and India has recently offered to help train the police force of the west African nation in an coordinated effort with the UN.
The peacekeeping unit, comprising of Indian women, is the first all female UN police unit which has been stationed in the west African nation since 2007 and will return in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users