Indian worker kills self in first Dubai Metro suicide case
Dubai: A 36-year-old Indian allegedly committed suicide on Dubai Metro track, in the first such incident, after not being allowed to return home by his employer.
"On Monday the Indian worker, who has been identified as HUM committed suicide on the track," said Major General Khamis Mattar Al Mazeina, the deputy chief of Dubai Police.
"The speeding Metro struck the man while he was lying on the track. Man was under the influence of alcohol and used the emergency fire exit to access the track," he said.
Mazeina said HUM was working in Dubai since 2010 and had asked his company to cancel his residency visa and send him back home.
"The company did cancel his visa but we are investigating why the company delayed sending HUM back home," Mazeina said.
The deceased`s body was beyond recognition and police took two days to identify him after one of his friends filed a missing report about him.
The suicide took place on Monday, the first death in the railways` three years of operation.
"The friend told police HUM was depressed and unhappy because he wanted to go back home but the sponsor, for no clear reasons, was not letting him go so he would put an end to his life," Mazeina was quoted by Gulf News as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Piers Morgan pokes fun at India's performance in Rio: Here's how Virender Sehwag SHUT him down
- Raj Thackeray defies SC order, MNS ties Dahi-Handi at 49 feet in Thane
- Fashion for me is feeling glamorous, confident: Shraddha Kapoor
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM
- SHOCKING: DySP forces women trainees to mention their period dates, makes fun of pregnant cadet