Indian worker kills self in first Dubai Metro suicide case
Dubai: A 36-year-old Indian allegedly committed suicide on Dubai Metro track, in the first such incident, after not being allowed to return home by his employer.
"On Monday the Indian worker, who has been identified as HUM committed suicide on the track," said Major General Khamis Mattar Al Mazeina, the deputy chief of Dubai Police.
"The speeding Metro struck the man while he was lying on the track. Man was under the influence of alcohol and used the emergency fire exit to access the track," he said.
Mazeina said HUM was working in Dubai since 2010 and had asked his company to cancel his residency visa and send him back home.
"The company did cancel his visa but we are investigating why the company delayed sending HUM back home," Mazeina said.
The deceased`s body was beyond recognition and police took two days to identify him after one of his friends filed a missing report about him.
The suicide took place on Monday, the first death in the railways` three years of operation.
"The friend told police HUM was depressed and unhappy because he wanted to go back home but the sponsor, for no clear reasons, was not letting him go so he would put an end to his life," Mazeina was quoted by Gulf News as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured