Indian worker kills self in first Dubai Metro suicide case
Dubai: A 36-year-old Indian allegedly committed suicide on Dubai Metro track, in the first such incident, after not being allowed to return home by his employer.
"On Monday the Indian worker, who has been identified as HUM committed suicide on the track," said Major General Khamis Mattar Al Mazeina, the deputy chief of Dubai Police.
"The speeding Metro struck the man while he was lying on the track. Man was under the influence of alcohol and used the emergency fire exit to access the track," he said.
Mazeina said HUM was working in Dubai since 2010 and had asked his company to cancel his residency visa and send him back home.
"The company did cancel his visa but we are investigating why the company delayed sending HUM back home," Mazeina said.
The deceased`s body was beyond recognition and police took two days to identify him after one of his friends filed a missing report about him.
The suicide took place on Monday, the first death in the railways` three years of operation.
"The friend told police HUM was depressed and unhappy because he wanted to go back home but the sponsor, for no clear reasons, was not letting him go so he would put an end to his life," Mazeina was quoted by Gulf News as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach