Indian working with UN arrested for alleged sexual abuse
United Nations: An Indian working with the United Nations at a mid-ranking level has been arrested on sexual abuses charges filed by a woman colleague.
According to the website Inner City Press, Dushyant Joshi is the head of the UN`s Emergency Preparedness unit. Joshi was arrested on Tuesday.
New York Police Department spokesman John Grimpel said Joshi was arrested for a complaint filed in October 2011 of sex abuse in a bar near the UN headquarters.
Joshi faces charges of third-degree sexual abuse, the NYPD said. The charge carries a prison term of three months.
The woman had filed the complaint against Joshi through the UN internal justice system as well as with the police in which she said Joshi had forcefully kissed and touched her on June 3, 2011.
According to a media report, UN spokesman Martin Nesirky said he could only speak about the investigation done by the UN, not about actions taken by New York police.
"We can confirm that an internal process was recently completed," he said adding "This is a confidential process and, therefore, we are not in a position to provide any further comment".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened