Indians across world celebrate Independence Day
Beijing/Moscow: Indians across the globe donned patriotic colours as they celebrated the country`s 66th Independence Day on Wednesday, unfurling the national tri-colour and organising a series of cultural events to mark the occasion.
Indian Ambassador to China S Jaishankar hoisted the tri-colour at the mission`s newly constructed building in Beijing in the presence of a large number of Indian professionals and their families.
He then read out President Pranab Mukherjee`s address to the gathering which was followed by cultural programmes.
In Russia, the celebrations in Moscow commenced with the unfurling of the national flag by Indian envoy Ajai Malhotra.
This was followed by the singing of patriotic songs by school children from the Embassy of India School, Moscow. Several hundred members of the Indian community in Moscow and friends of India took part in the function at the Embassy, showing their love and respect for their motherland.
As part of the Independence Day celebrations a special presentation by the `Karnatriix` music group from India will be held later this evening in Moscow.
Similar celebratory functions were also held at the Indian Consulates General in St. Petersburg and Vladivostok, besides other venues across Russia.
In Sri Lanka, High Commissioner Ashok K Kantha hoisted the national flag at the mission`s premises in Colombo in presence of a large number of audience.
In Nepal, Ambassador Jayant Prasad hoisted the tri-colour at a function held at the premises of the Indian embassy in Kathmandu. The event was attended by diplomats, members of business community, media persons, students and a large number of Indian citizens residing in Nepal.
India also gifted 20 ambulances and four buses to Nepal`s different organisations and schools. India also donated books to 25 educational institutions and training institutions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'
- Hafiz Saeed's son-in-law masterminded terror attack on CRPF convoy in Pampore: Report
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath
- Gunbattle breaks out between security forces, militants in J&K's Kupwara