Indians across world celebrate Independence Day
Beijing/Moscow: Indians across the globe donned patriotic colours as they celebrated the country`s 66th Independence Day on Wednesday, unfurling the national tri-colour and organising a series of cultural events to mark the occasion.
Indian Ambassador to China S Jaishankar hoisted the tri-colour at the mission`s newly constructed building in Beijing in the presence of a large number of Indian professionals and their families.
He then read out President Pranab Mukherjee`s address to the gathering which was followed by cultural programmes.
In Russia, the celebrations in Moscow commenced with the unfurling of the national flag by Indian envoy Ajai Malhotra.
This was followed by the singing of patriotic songs by school children from the Embassy of India School, Moscow. Several hundred members of the Indian community in Moscow and friends of India took part in the function at the Embassy, showing their love and respect for their motherland.
As part of the Independence Day celebrations a special presentation by the `Karnatriix` music group from India will be held later this evening in Moscow.
Similar celebratory functions were also held at the Indian Consulates General in St. Petersburg and Vladivostok, besides other venues across Russia.
In Sri Lanka, High Commissioner Ashok K Kantha hoisted the national flag at the mission`s premises in Colombo in presence of a large number of audience.
In Nepal, Ambassador Jayant Prasad hoisted the tri-colour at a function held at the premises of the Indian embassy in Kathmandu. The event was attended by diplomats, members of business community, media persons, students and a large number of Indian citizens residing in Nepal.
India also gifted 20 ambulances and four buses to Nepal`s different organisations and schools. India also donated books to 25 educational institutions and training institutions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor