Indians among hundreds of illegal immigrants caught in US
Boston: Hundreds of immigrants, including from India and Nepal, were caught trying to illegally enter the US through Mexico hiding in tractors in conditions
authorities say are "worse than the way normally cattle is shipped".
Border authorities caught over 513 immigrants crammed in two tractor-trailers in the southern state of Chiapas, near Mexico border`s with Guatemala.
The people, who reportedly paid USD 7000 each to cross
over into the US, came not just from Central America, but from
"China, Nepal, India and even Japan," a news channel report said.
While 273 people were in one of these trucks, 240 were
crammed in the other.
"They were traveling in conditions that are worse
than the way normally cattle is shipped around the country.
It was just an incredible sight for the first officers who
responded to the scene in the Mexican state of Chiapas," the
Border authorities are "dealing with international
criminal organisations that smuggle people from all over the
world" in conditions that are "inhumane" and "dangerous", the
People paying as much as USD 7,000 and coming from
far-flung countries is indicative "that this is a network
(that) reaches across the world, to Asia and other
Mexican officials have increased the presence of
military and police and have intercepted similar breaches
Earlier this month, authorities stopped 183 immigrants
from places like Guatemala, El Salvador, Ecuador, Nepal, India
and Sri Lanka at the border, the report added.
Last year, more than 1,600 Indians, "mostly young men
from poor villages" were caught at the southern tip of Texas
as they tried to illegally sneak into the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video