Indians among hundreds of illegal immigrants caught in US
Boston: Hundreds of immigrants, including from India and Nepal, were caught trying to illegally enter the US through Mexico hiding in tractors in conditions
authorities say are "worse than the way normally cattle is shipped".
Border authorities caught over 513 immigrants crammed in two tractor-trailers in the southern state of Chiapas, near Mexico border`s with Guatemala.
The people, who reportedly paid USD 7000 each to cross
over into the US, came not just from Central America, but from
"China, Nepal, India and even Japan," a news channel report said.
While 273 people were in one of these trucks, 240 were
crammed in the other.
"They were traveling in conditions that are worse
than the way normally cattle is shipped around the country.
It was just an incredible sight for the first officers who
responded to the scene in the Mexican state of Chiapas," the
Border authorities are "dealing with international
criminal organisations that smuggle people from all over the
world" in conditions that are "inhumane" and "dangerous", the
People paying as much as USD 7,000 and coming from
far-flung countries is indicative "that this is a network
(that) reaches across the world, to Asia and other
Mexican officials have increased the presence of
military and police and have intercepted similar breaches
Earlier this month, authorities stopped 183 immigrants
from places like Guatemala, El Salvador, Ecuador, Nepal, India
and Sri Lanka at the border, the report added.
Last year, more than 1,600 Indians, "mostly young men
from poor villages" were caught at the southern tip of Texas
as they tried to illegally sneak into the US.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today