Indians` death sentence overturned by Malaysian court
Kuala Lumpur: The death sentences of two Indian nationals on drug trafficking charges were set aside on Tuesday by a Malaysian appeals court, which said the lower court had not considered the complete evidence in the 2010 case.
The two Indians -- Ramjali Sayed Ibrahim and Sayed Ibrahim Mydeen Batcha -- walked out free after the Malaysian Appeals Court ruled in their favour and allowed their appeals to set aside convictions for trafficking in ketamine drug.
Justice Abdul Malik Ishak, chairing a three-member panel ruled that their convictions were not safe as many aspects of the evidence were not considered by the High Court judge.
The panel set aside the Shah Alam High Court`s decision on October 25, 2010 which found the two guilty of trafficking in the drug and sentenced them to death.
The duo have been in prison since February 9, 2009.
They were alleged to have carried a bag each containing tins of turmeric powder where the drug was found concealed.
The bags also contained prayer items like joss sticks and incense.
Ramjali, 46, a photographer, was charged with trafficking in 14,166.9 grammes of ketamine at the Customs check-in counter in the Arrival Hall of the Kuala Lumpur International Airport on Feb 9, 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what