Indians in America celebrate Independence Day with gusto
Washington: The Indian community in America celebrated the country`s 67th Independence Day with gusto joining flag unfurling functions at the Indian missions as they geared to hold colourful parades and cultural functions over the weekend.
Some 250 members of the community joined Thursday`s official celebration in Washington where Indian Ambassador Nirupama Rao unfurled the national flag at her residence and read out President Pranab Mukherjee`s message to the nation.
A cultural programme followed. Similar events were held at Indian Consulates in New York, San Francisco, Houston, Atlanta and the Permanent Mission of India to the UN.
Meanwhile, several community groups are gearing up to organise parades and festivals in various cities from New York to Chicago to Stamford, Connecticut.
India`s anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare will be lead the largest India Day Parade in America in Manhattan next Sunday.
Now in its 33rd year, the parade organised annually by the Federation of Indian Associations, will also feature Bollywood film star Vidya Balan as grand marshal and Sarath Kumar and Raddhila as other guests of honour.
Parades are also planned for Chicago and Hicksville, New York. Festivities include vibrant cultural programmes, henna artists, exhibition and booths for Indian clothes and jewellery, children`s rides and Indian food.
But a couple of other parades that have gained prominence over the last few years stole a march over New York`s big one by celebrating the day last Sunday and attracted thousands of watchers.
Colourful floats and entertainment programmes highlighting India`s culture and heritage, and, of course, cuisine marked the parades in Long Island, a New York suburb, and two more in New Jersey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state