Indians in Kuwait celebrate I-Day
Kuwait: Indians in Kuwait celebrated India`s 67th Independence Day on Thursday with Ambassador Satish C Mehra unfurling the tricolour in the embassy premises here.
After the singing of the national anthem, the ambassador read out the address to the nation by Indian President Pranab Mukherjee on the eve of the Independence Day.
Speaking on the occasion, the ambassador stated that India-Kuwait relations were historic, close and characterised by mutual respect and understanding.
He also lauded the contribution of the Indian community in Kuwait’s development and to India-Kuwait relations.
He extended his warmest greetings to all members of the Indian community in Kuwait and highlighted the efforts made by the embassy to effectively address the concerns of the community.
Members of the Indian community in Kuwait from all walks of life, including representatives of Indian associations, businessmen, doctors, engineers, other professionals, domestic workers and embassy staff with their families took part in the open air celebrations reflecting India’s rich ethnic, linguistic, religious, and cultural diversity, according to an embassy statement.
Meanwhile, leading English newspapers of Kuwait, `Arab Times` and `Kuwait Times`, also brought out special supplements on the occasion and published messages of the President Mukherjee as well as of the ambassador.
The weekly magazine `The Times` also published the ambassador’s message.
Two other news portals, `Indians in Kuwait` and `Frontliners`, brought out special supplements to mark the day.
A number of Arabic newspapers too published the ambassador’s message and interview on the occasion.
Kuwait is home to around 640,000 expatriate Indians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY