Indians in Kuwait celebrate I-Day
Kuwait: Indians in Kuwait celebrated India`s 67th Independence Day on Thursday with Ambassador Satish C Mehra unfurling the tricolour in the embassy premises here.
After the singing of the national anthem, the ambassador read out the address to the nation by Indian President Pranab Mukherjee on the eve of the Independence Day.
Speaking on the occasion, the ambassador stated that India-Kuwait relations were historic, close and characterised by mutual respect and understanding.
He also lauded the contribution of the Indian community in Kuwait’s development and to India-Kuwait relations.
He extended his warmest greetings to all members of the Indian community in Kuwait and highlighted the efforts made by the embassy to effectively address the concerns of the community.
Members of the Indian community in Kuwait from all walks of life, including representatives of Indian associations, businessmen, doctors, engineers, other professionals, domestic workers and embassy staff with their families took part in the open air celebrations reflecting India’s rich ethnic, linguistic, religious, and cultural diversity, according to an embassy statement.
Meanwhile, leading English newspapers of Kuwait, `Arab Times` and `Kuwait Times`, also brought out special supplements on the occasion and published messages of the President Mukherjee as well as of the ambassador.
The weekly magazine `The Times` also published the ambassador’s message.
Two other news portals, `Indians in Kuwait` and `Frontliners`, brought out special supplements to mark the day.
A number of Arabic newspapers too published the ambassador’s message and interview on the occasion.
Kuwait is home to around 640,000 expatriate Indians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Security at Olympics "robust", says IOC chief
- Amaal Mallik excited about his 'Baar Baar Dekho' track
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS