Indians not speaking country`s languages is `painful`: Advani
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader LK Advani on Wednesday batted for the promotion of Indian languages and said it was very humiliating that while people of various countries spoke in their own language on foreign trips, Indians communicated in English.
"I was born under British rule. It was very humiliating that during foreign trips, people of different countries used to talk in their own language but people going from India mostly talked in English, even amongst themselves. When they talked in English, it didn`t look nice," the senior BJP leader said at the Kusumanjali Sahitya Samman, 2014.
"There are some things which are very painful. One of them is not speaking ones language and speaking another language," Advani said at the event where he was felicitated.
He said that the more Indians know about their languages, the easier would be the task of spreading these across the world. The senior leader also revealed that for many years he only knew English and Hindi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...