Indians` popularity with Americans dips from historic highs
Washington: Indians have lost their popularity with the Americans somewhat, with their favourability ratings going down notably over the last one year, but still remaining on the higher end historically, according to a new poll.
Americans` positive perceptions of India fell seven percentage points over the past year to 68 percent, according to a Gallup poll released on Friday.
This follows the unusually high favourability - 75 percent - toward India in 2012, the public opinion firm noted.
The current rating is similar to what Gallup found between 2006 and 2010. The broader trend is one of improving favourability toward India since 2000, when Americans were closely divided in how they viewed it giving it a 47 percent favourable rating.
While Americans` favourable ratings of most countries stayed the same or fell slightly this year, ratings of Egypt, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Libya and Israel also saw notable declines.
Americans` views of Iran, North Korea, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and the Palestinian Authority are also broadly negative, similar to the balance of views toward Iraq and Libya.
All five have unfavourable ratings of 77 percent or higher and these have been consistently high in recent years. Pakistan`s unfavourable rating remains unchanged at 81 percent, with its favourability dipping to 14 percent.
The images of six countries - Canada, Great Britain, Germany, Japan, and France - have been solidly positive in recent years, although Americans have rated several of these more negatively at previous times.
Gallup poll results are based on telephone interviews conducted February 7-10 with a random sample of 1,015 adults across America with a sampling error of 4 percentage points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what