Indians rescued from Somali pirates to return today
New Delhi: Most of the 28 Indian seafarers rescued from Somali pirates after their vessels were hijacked last year are returning to India on Monday.
17 Indian seafarers on board the MT Royal Grace have been in captivity of pirates since March 2, 2012 and 11 Indian seafarers on board MT Smyrni were in captivity since May 10, 2012.
While most of the seafarers are to return to India tomorrow, some of those rescued from MT Royal Grace await the arrival of a replacement crew before they can fly back to their families in India, official sources said today.
They said the MT Royal Grace had reached Salalah port in Muscat on March 13 and MT Smyrni docked there the next day. Both the ships were received by officials of the Indian Embassy in Oman.
Indian embassy officials had arranged for doctors to conduct medical checkup and provide necessary assistance to a few who needed assistance.
All crew members were provided new clothing, toiletries and shoes by the Embassy and were provided opportunities to speak with their family members.
Passports, where required, exit permits from Omani authorities and necessary ticketing arrangements have been made by the Embassy of India in Muscat, they said.
The government has been working assiduously to ensure release of Indian nationals in captivity of pirates and had been pursuing the matter at various levels and in different countries, they said.
They, however, did not divulge details of how the government managed to secure their release.
The return of these seafarers is a significant milestone in the war against piracy, official sources said, adding the Government was committed to secure release of all its nationals including the seven on MT Asphalt Venture and one on MV Al Bedo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?