Indians safe in Maldives
Male: Indians, who constitute a significant chunk of the total population of over three lakh in Maldives, are safe in the country, where as unrest erupted following a
regime change four days ago on Saturday.
There are about 29,000 Indians in the country and almost
22,000 of them live in Male, the capital.
According to Indian High Commission sources here, they
have not received reports of any violence on Indian property.
Violence had erupted in this picturesque country, known
as a tropical paradise, after President Mohamed Nasheed
resigned and a new regime took over.
"Indians here are respected by the locals. Many of
Indians are in the teaching profession or are doctors," an
official with the High Commission here said.
The scene of the action, the headquarters of the Maldives
National Defence Force (MNDF), the police and the Presidential
office is just a stone throw away from the High Commission
Sources said foreigners and tourists were not a target of
the violence that had erupted.
"It was between political activists, police and army. The
foreigners and tourists would not have even come to know about
the unrest in the first day," a source said.
He, however, said if fresh violence erupts, spillover
effects cannot be ruled out completely. Refusing to give up his political ambitions, Nasheed,facing an arrest warrant has demanded fresh polls, as India
stepped in to help the country defuse the situation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed