Indians vote like cattle: Markandey Katju
New Delhi: India is not a full-fledged democracy as 90 percent of its people vote like sheep and cattle, Press Council of India chairman Justice Markandey Katju said here on Saturday.
Speaking to a TV channel, Katju said: "Ninety percent Indians vote in droves like sheep and cattle. They are like a herd of cattle voting along caste and religious lines."
"Because Indians vote like livestock, there are so many criminals in Parliament," he added.
The former Supreme Court judge said that he would not vote as India was being run by leaders elected on the basis of their caste, which is not the true form of democracy.
"I won`t vote because my vote is meaningless. Votes are cast in the name of Jats, Muslims, Yadavs or Harijans. Democracy is not meant to be run like this. Why should I waste my time in joining the cattle queue?" he said.
Boasting of his secular credentials, Katju said that he was against communal forces and "by being secular, if I am branded a Congressman, you are entitled to your view".
Katju has been in news for seeking a pardon for actor Sanjay Dutt and Zaibunnisa Kazi, charged with illegal possession of arms in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case by the Supreme Court.
Katju has argued that Dutt stacked the weapons for self defence and to protect his family from the threats that they were getting in the aftermath of the Babri demolition.
"Sanjay Dutt is a shattered man. He has suffered enough but he has reformed," he said.
Katju said that he was prepared to seek pardons for other stars, Saif Ali Khan and Salman Khan, who have been charged for killing endangered blackbucks in Jodhpur.
"I will study their cases and if I am satisfied that I should speak out, I will surely plead their case," he said.
Accused of being hungry for publicity, the former judge said that "seeking publicity is a form of vulgarity". He added that he never chases controversy but what can he do if controversy chases him.
He also mocked Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal and his former associate Anna Hazare, saying that corruption was a "malaise which cannot be eradicated in the next 20 years".
"This campaign is like the tale told by an idiot signifying nothing. There`s no morality code in the country, so corruption cannot be wiped out," Katju said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared