India`s 20th nuclear reactor connected to power grid
Mumbai: The fourth unit of 220 MW Kaiga
Generating Station (KGS-4) located in Uttar Kanada district of
Karnataka was connected to the southern power grid in the
early hours today, after the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board
(AERB) granted clearence to it.
KGS-4, which achieved first criticality on November 27
last year, was "synchronised with the southern grid at 01:56
hours", general manager (corporate communication) R R Kakde of
Nuclear Power Corporation of India said here in a release.
With the synchronisation of KGS-4 with the grid,
India`s nuclear power capacity has gone up to 4780 MW, with 20
reactors in operation. The installed capacity of Kaiga station
is now 880 MW, making it the third largest after Tarapur
(1400 MW) and Rawatbhata (1180 MW), he said.
The unit, fuelled by indigenous uranium, will supply
electricity to Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu
NPCIL has also achieved new landmarks of generating
over 4000 MW and over 95 Million Units of power a day. This is
a 100 per cent increase over what was being generated same
time last year, Kakde said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information