India`s diplomacy succeeded in ensuring marines’ return: Chidambaram
New Delhi: The Indian government`s diplomacy has succeeded in securing the return of the two Italian marines accused of killing two Indian fishermen to India to stand trial, Finance Minister P Chidambaram said on Friday.
"It is the government`s diplomacy which has succeeded and people know it is the government which takes the diplomatic effort that has succeeded," Chidambaram told reporters.
On the opposition claiming credit, Chidambaram said: "If the government`s diplomacy succeeds and the opposition wishes to claim credit, I have no objection."
The External Affairs Ministry announced Friday that the Italian government had informed it the marines would return.
On March 11, Italy informed India the marines - who had been allowed to go home by the Supreme Court on Feb 22 following an undertaking by the Italian envoy - would not be sent back, leading to a diplomatic standoff. The ambassador was restrained by the apex court from leaving India for reneging on his word.
The marines, posted aboard oil tanker MV Enrica Lexie on security duty, had on Feb 15, 2012, opened fire at a fishing boat off the coast of Kerala, suspecting it carried pirates. Two fishermen, Ajesh Binki and Gelastine, were killed in the firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'